2000 Yonge Dental Home Page

Why is it essential to get teeth cleaning every 3-6 months?!

It is quite obvious that several people ponder about the answer to this question. Although it may seem excessive to some, there is absolutely no doubt that recurrent visits to your dentist are very important! Of course, the condition of your oral hygiene and gums will determine the frequency of your visits to your good ol’ dental office. It is recommend by a majority of dentists’ that patient’s get routine cleanings to prevent and delay the progression of periodontal disease. It is proven that many people struggle with keeping up with a proper oral hygiene routine, which will cause you to see your dentist and/or hygienist much more often than you would like.

Brushing and flossing your teeth every day will only eliminate about 65% of plaque and bacteria that grows on teeth. That is where you encounter the real beauty of cleanings. Dental cleanings help to thoroughly eliminate the remaining 35% of plaque that will, at its own pace, but eventually, turn to tartar. To avoid problems such as cavities, gum disease and other oral problems, it is absolutely essential, and not to mention beneficial, to keep up with your dentist to ensure that tartar and overall bacteria are not built up in your mouth. Typically, children and adults will come in for a routine cleaning and examination every 6 months. Again, this entirely depends on the health/condition of your teeth and gums. Your regular 6 month exam and visit allows the doctor/ hygienist to note any changes in both your teeth and gums. It’s important to catch any problems when they are small, and stop them from progressing to a more severe state.

The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention’s most recent survey shows 47 percent of adults over 30 have some form of gum disease, so many may benefit from deep cleanings. If you are uncertain as to why your dental care provider suggests you come in more frequently than you believe necessary, it is important to clarify and ask questions such as why you need it.

Book your appointment now!

Sorry, we're currently closed. Please send us a message and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible.